We follow closely the development of battery technologies and have good insight into what is to come. In Celltech Solutions, we have chosen two core technologies for our battery solutions: LFP and LTO. These are usually the safest technologies with a long lifetime most suitable for industrial electrification applications.
Our experienced engineers help our customers choose the most suitable technology, depending on the application. If needed, we also provide solutions with NMC/NCA technology but quite often, the safe use of these technologies is only viable in mass production with heavy investments in research and development.
There are new technologies like solid-state batteries on the horizon that are not yet ready for mass production, but we will be ready to offer these too when the time is right.
LFP cathodes are made of LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron-Phosphate). These batteries are renowned for being:
- Good all-round: Good safety, lifetime, power density
- Quite robust
- Rather economical as they are manufactured from abundant materials.
- No Nickel or Cobolt used
- LFP cells feature a very unique trait: over a very broad range of SOC (state of charge), their voltage does virtually not change. This is good for power electronics.
In LTO technology anode is not made of graphite, but Li-Titanate (Lithium Titanoxid, LTO), often paired with an LFP cathode. Such LFP-LTO cells are referred to as LTO. These batteries are renowned for being:
- Extremely robust
- Safety and longevity-wise approximately 30 x NMC
- Have lower energy density
- Total cost of ownership is low
- Extremely wide operation temperature range
- Very high power charging and discharging possible