The shift towards electrification is inevitable in the ever-evolving landscape of sustainability. It is also an integral part of the digitalisation of non-road transport. This transformation extends far beyond the highways and streets, reaching into the world of non-road vehicles, where Celltech is pioneering advancements in battery technology. Our commitment to designing and manufacturing cutting-edge battery systems for demanding conditions in scalable volumes has never been more critical.
Non-Road Vehicle Electrification and Digitalisation
Non-road vehicles play an integral role in various industries, from construction to agriculture and beyond. Traditionally powered by diesel engines, these vehicles have long been associated with emissions, noise pollution, high fuel consumption, and significant operating costs. To address these issues, the industry is turning to electrification as part of a larger shift toward digitalisation. This involves the integration of digital technologies, like IoT and digital monitoring solutions, to enhance performance, efficiency, safety, and sustainability. The electrification of non-road vehicles promises to revolutionise many industries by offering a cleaner, quieter, and more efficient alternative.
Government Regulations Driving Electrification
Government regulations worldwide are accelerating the electrification of non-road vehicles. For example, a groundbreaking regulation in California mandates that all new off-road vehicle sales be zero-emission by 2035. The City of Oslo has set a target for all municipal construction sites to be zero-emission by 2025 and for all construction work, public or private, to be zero-emission by 2030. Similar initiatives are emerging globally, emphasising the urgency of transitioning to electric powertrains.
Benefits of Electrifying Non-Road Vehicles
The benefits of electrifying non-road vehicles are manifold:
- Reducing Emissions: Electric non-road vehicles significantly reduce CO2 and pollutant emissions compared to diesel. A study estimated that replacing diesel-powered construction equipment with electric alternatives could save approximately 40 mega tonnes of CO2 annually worldwide.
- Improving Efficiency: Electric non-road vehicles enhance energy efficiency and fuel economy, not only by replacing diesel engines but also through regenerative braking, reduced idling losses, and optimised power management. This translates to lower operating costs and fuel consumption.
- Enhancing Performance: Electric non-road vehicles provide instant torque, precise speed control, lower noise levels, and reduced maintenance requirements. These features boost productivity and safety, with electric excavators improving digging performance by up to 25%.
The Critical Role of Batteries in Non-Road Vehicle Electrification
Electrification can mean replacing diesel with electric or hybrid powertrains. Both of these options require batteries. In fully electric powertrains, the diesel engine is replaced by a battery. A hybrid system combines batteries and hydrogen fuel cells. Hydrogen fuel cells convert the chemical energy of hydrogen and oxygen into electricity and water. Batteries store electrical energy in chemical form and release it when needed. Batteries can act as energy buffers and power boosters for the fuel cells, providing peak power, regenerative braking, and load levelling. Fuel cells can act as energy sources and battery chargers, providing continuous power, range extension, and emission reduction.
Fully electric powertrains require charging. Efficient and reliable charging of non-road vehicles requires adequate planning for charging points and capacity. Factors such as location, electrical grid availability, charging needs and time, and charging method should all be considered. To enhance the charging infrastructure, battery-buffered charging can be used to store and deliver electricity to charging points as required. This can increase efficiency, flexibility, and reliability, especially when using renewable energy sources such as solar or wind power.
Celltech Powering the Electrified Non-Road Vehicles
Founded in 1984, Celltech is a global battery supplier and manufacturer dedicated to creating industrial battery solutions. In our state-of-the-art factory in Tampere, Finland, we are already delivering batteries for non-road vehicles and preparing for mass production of customer projects, with a 3000-square-meter expansion underway. What sets us apart are our scalable production capabilities, platform thinking, and focus on designing non-road vehicle batteries that excel in harsh conditions.
Special Characteristics of Non-Road Vehicle Batteries
Non-road vehicle batteries require unique attributes:
- Designed for Constant Use: These batteries operate 24/7, demanding fast charging, minimal downtime, and easy servicing.
- Variable Size Requirements: Battery systems must be adaptable to fit specific mechanical configurations while meeting application specifications.
- Enhanced Durability and Safety: Non-road vehicles need batteries that withstand extreme conditions when operating in challenging environments and on uneven terrain.
- Recycling and sustainability: There are special recycling and sustainability requirements for large industrial batteries in international and local legislation. For example, the new EU battery regulation has specific requirements for carbon footprint declarations, the use of recycled raw materials, digital battery passports, and the organisation of battery collection and recycling.
Platform-Thinking for Customised Solutions
Celltech has developed three battery system platforms to expedite customised solutions. The customised solutions are delivered based on our Celltech Lifecycle model, considering each phase of the battery system development, from careful definition and evaluation of needs all the way to recycling the batteries at the end of their useful life. Our platform thinking, combined with Celltech Lifecycle, ensures:
- A fast track to a customised battery system
- Faster adaptation of improved technologies: We embrace advancements to enhance performance.
- A Fully Tested Foundation: Each platform is rigorously tested, ensuring reliability and safety.
- Smaller Total Cost of Ownership: Our solutions provide cost efficiency.
- Faster Time-to-Market: We expedite the journey from concept to implementation.
At Celltech, we are at the forefront of revolutionising non-road vehicle electrification, offering battery systems that meet the industry’s unique demands while driving sustainability and efficiency without compromising safety. We are committed to a future where the roar of diesel engines is replaced by the hum of electric motors, creating a cleaner, greener world for all.